Thursday, September 22, 2011

Poor fuel mileage 2004 Explorer?

I recently bought a 2004 Explorer NBX with a V-8. I expect it should get 18 mpg highway, but I tested it over a long interstate drive and got just 13, and much worse in the city. It has 4wd but I was driving with it off and on cruise control behind semi trucks just to see how good the mileage could get.



I took it to a dealer for a tune up and inspection after buying, and they said it's in great condition. Only has 44k miles, new oil change, air filter, properly inflated tires, etc. Why am I not getting better mileage and are there any out of the box suggestions to improve mileage? Yes, I know I shouldn't be expecting great mileage with this vehicle but any car under 50k miles that gets 40% worse fuel economy than it's rated for is something to be concerned with. Could there be anything worth checking that the dealer may have missed?Poor fuel mileage 2004 Explorer?These are the products you need to get the most out of your gas

Fuel system cleaner once a month....chevron fuel system cleaner, Water remover, fuel injector cleaner every filled tank

clamped vacuum hoses at each end

Clean throttlebody every 10,000 miles

Synthetic oil changed every 5,000 hours, not miles.

A professional combustion chamber cleaning.......89.95Poor fuel mileage 2004 Explorer?how fast was your interstate driving mine gets about 21mpg at 55 but about 16mpg at 65