Monday, September 19, 2011

My overfilled mower won't start and sounds like liquid swooshing around when I turn the key. Help!?

I have an Ariens 927 riding mower for my 1.5 acre yard and I'm afraid I have broken it! At first the engine wouldn't start, so I tried to jumpstart it and it would start but die again real quick. Then I checked the engine oil and it was low... I totally overfilled it! When I (jump)started the engine this time it spit out oil from the air filter! I siphoned out the excess oil. I could't find the oil drain plug. I found a screw on the other side of the engine but that let out gasoline (I think!). Probably my worst mistake was tipping it on its service bar to look under it - because now when I (jump)start the engine it doesn't even turnover and there's this swooshing liquid sound in the carb. Could it be gas? I also looked in the battery and one part looked dry so I added some distilled water. I don't think it leaked though. I feel real bad I think killed this engine and would appreciate any advice on how to fix it. I think I need to change the air filter and spark plugs right? Thanks!My overfilled mower won't start and sounds like liquid swooshing around when I turn the key. Help!?LOL! Sorry, I couldn't help it.

OK, it sounds like you've got oil in the compression chamber of your mower.

First make sure the oil is at the right range in level. If I has too much then it will be hard running and will blow black/white smoke for a long time. Even if you can't find it, there should be a drain plug. Can't find it? Follow your dipstick tube thing down to the oil pan. Your plug should be on the bottom of that. Ariens makes nice mowers and I don't think they would make the plug too hard to find. Still can't find it? consult your manual or Ariens web site.

Next remove your air filter so the engine can breathe. I imagine it's probably covered in oil now... just a guess.

Then remove your spark plugs. Not too sure about that mower, but it may have two... on opposite sides of the engine. This will prevent the compression chamber from building pressure, but will also allow the excess oil to be blown from the chamber. Also, clean or replace your plugs (Cleaning is probably sufficient). Oil doesn't typically allow spark.

Now try to start the engine. Obviously it won't start since you have no plugs in, but it should at least try to crank. This will make you feel very happy actually hearing the engine turn. You may need to jump start it off a running vehicle as you'll need the engine to crank for a while to let the engine air out.

It would be nice to take a lint-free rag and try to wipe out the engine from where your plugs where. Micro-fiber rags are your friend.

Once your sure your engine's compression chamber is oil free you can put your plugs back in and try to start it. It should at least try to turn now. (keep your fingers crossed). You might need to help it a bit with starting fluid or even pour a drop or two of gasoline into your carburetor. Also, make sure you have gas in your tank.



Typically when I start a mower or tractor I run half throttle and full choke. Even if it doesn't need choke I typically use it, but turn it off almost immediately. Also when shutting down, I turn the throttle down all the way. It just kinda makes sense to me since most people don't shut down their cars at full throttle... just a thought.



Your tractor may not ever be the same, but at least you've learned something from it.My overfilled mower won't start and sounds like liquid swooshing around when I turn the key. Help!?its brokenMy overfilled mower won't start and sounds like liquid swooshing around when I turn the key. Help!?Dry the plugs off, replace the air filter...... what happened is you did overfill it and the engine burped it up basically.... that woooshing sound, is probablly oil in the cylinders.... (take the plugs out and turn the engine over a few times to let it blow out) And this will lock em too (liquid can't be compressed)



As for the oil drain, it more then likely has a drain located on the side of the engine at the very base of the engine block... If you have the owners manual, this is the best thing to look at.My overfilled mower won't start and sounds like liquid swooshing around when I turn the key. Help!?you need to remove the spark plug. and crank over the engine to purge the oil from the head. replace the air filter and spark plug with a new one and don't over fill it this time( goes without saying but...) it happens... get it started, it will smoke alot then the oil will burn off so just let it run awhile. You didn't kill it I've seen it so many times you'll be fine.
  • hold the tough drive freshly founder
  • How can I reuse ugly old blankets
  •