Monday, October 24, 2011

Small claims. How good are my chances of winning?

My parents bought me a car for my 16th birthday. They never put it in my name or anything, but insisted I pay for everything because, after all, it is MY car. So I gladly paid for tires,brakes,oil changes,and air filter changes. Last year the transmission started going out(reverse doesn't work, but all other gears do) They insisted I take it to my cousins repair shop to be fixed. My cousin told me it would be $750.00 to get it repaired and he needed the money up front so he could buy a tranny. I gave him all the money like he wanted and he NEVER fixed it. Recently I moved out and moved in with my boyfriend. They got angry about that and told me that if I moved in with him and took %26quot;their%26quot; car they would report it stolen and have me arrested. Being the car isn't in my name I just left it. Well I need the money back and they won't give it to me. I told them all I wanted was the $750.00 and I would forget about everything else I put into it. Unless they made me take them to court for it and then I would push for more( all the tires and everything I put into it when I was under the impression it was %26quot;my%26quot; car) So my mom told me take her to court, I would lose because she's my mom and its O.K for her to keep my money. I am 20years old. I am capable of having money I worked for.

So I am taking her to court and I was wondering what are my chances of winning?? I have all the receipts and everything.

And if your wondering how my mom got my $750.00 that I gave to my cousin to fix the car, my cousin gave it to my mother because my mother asked her to.

I am sorry this is so long. I am just nervous about taking her to court and losing. Thanks in advance to all the answers.Small claims. How good are my chances of winning?They are probably not good if you have no attorney and they have an 'old friend' on retainer.

If niether you or they can contract one, maybe even odds, but I would not bet my life on it.

You'd stand a better chance in Judge Judy's venue...

Bottom Line: Do NOT try to do this alone.