Monday, October 24, 2011

How can I fix my dust problem? No matter what I do, dust returns within a few hours?

I moved into a two bedroom apartment about 4 months ago with a friend and ever since, I've noticed that there is just SO MUCH DUST everywhere. No matter what I do... dust, wipe with wet paper towels, pledge, etc... there is some new dust within a few hours and it slowly piles up. I have also been getting sick MUCH easier since I moved in and think it may have to do with this whole dust issue.

My roommate has a cat and also smokes pot in the house sometimes, but usually in her room. I ALWAYS keep my door closed so the cat never goes in and my room never smells like weed. I know I'm not allergic to cats (my parents had them the whole time i was growing up). I have a large air purifier in my room i purchased two months ago and i've already had to change the filters on that 3 times. They should be lasting at least a month or two. Also, I know there is no mold in the apartment - it was just built less than 4 years ago. I keep my windows closed. We just changed the air filters about a month and a half ago also. I just don't know what to do. I realize things get dusty... I have lived in an apartment all by myself before. But seriously, this is like nothing i've seen! And I think I may be getting sick because of it, or at least a weak immune system.

Anyways, if anyone has any clue as to why this may be happening and what i can do to fix the problem, please let me know. Thanks so much!How can I fix my dust problem? No matter what I do, dust returns within a few hours?Ok so what your going to have to do is a really thorough clean. I mean you and your room mate...every crevace gets wet and cleaned. From the walls to the floors. Furnature (underneath, and backs of items against the wall etc). Using a diluted solution of cleaner and warm water usually does the trick. Be carefull on some surfaces (use furnature cleaner etc if you want) and dry items after you've washed them.



It may take all day, or even all weekend but it'll be worth it. Systematicaly work from one end to the other. It's okay to open windows and let the stale dust out. Check the walls and under doorways carefully, to see if it's coming from an outside source. Vacuum up all the furnature and wash as many soft surfaces as possible (drapes, comfoters etc).



What could be happening is not so much as a 'dust coming from no where' situation...but more of a moving dust situation. Some places are just more dusty than others. Doing a thorough clean can't be a bad thing, plus that way your roommate will also be cleaning up where the cat hair is, which could also be transferring around the house as well.How can I fix my dust problem? No matter what I do, dust returns within a few hours?Get a air cleaner. Get an air purifier or air treatment system. make sure the filters are changes every daylight savings and that your return vents are cleaned properly. Clean upholstry and carpets. Hope this helpsHow can I fix my dust problem? No matter what I do, dust returns within a few hours?get an air purifier. it will filter the air and get rid of alot of the dust. try vacuuming your vents. theres probably dust in there thats getting blown around the airHow can I fix my dust problem? No matter what I do, dust returns within a few hours?Get you an air purifier with ionizer.How can I fix my dust problem? No matter what I do, dust returns within a few hours?I'd take a good hard look at your vacuum cleaner. It's apparently not doing it's job well. And the people who were in the apartment before you could have had the same issue and you've still got dust and dirt lurking from them! An inefficient sweeper is one of the biggest causes of the problem you've got. Invest in a good unit with advanced HEPA filtration. No, you don't have to spend the big bucks on a Dyson. Bissell makes the Healthy Home model that has similar filtration for 1/2 the price. Then when you get a new sweeper, read the manual and keep the sponge filters clean.



To get ahead of the problem, you need to go an extremely thorough cleaning of the entire apartment with the new sweeper. Move everything, sweep slowly and make numerous passes over the same area. You might be very surprised how much %26quot;junk%26quot; you're going to get in a new sweeper. I had owned Hoovers before and thought they did a good job. Wrong! The Bissell got so much more out that the Hoovers had been leaving that I didn't know whether to be grossed out or amazed!



Wipe down everything with a damp (just plain water will do) microfiber cloth. The microfiber cloths wipe more efficiently than anything. I get mine at Sam's Club; a bundle of 24 is less than $10. They are reusable and last forever. Rinse the cloth in clean water frequently.



Check your air filters monthly at the minimum. After you do your thorough cleaning, I'd change them.



You certainly could shampoo all the carpets, that will help get rid of some of the build up of dirt and dust but if your sweeper isn't getting it in the first place, you'll be right back here in a few months. Also think about making your apartment a no shoes inside zone. 80% of the dirt in a home comes in on our feet. Keep slippers by the door.



You might have an allergy to all the excess dust and that is what is keeping your immune system in an uproar. It's busy fighting the allergens and doesn't have enough left over to fight other things. Removing the allergens will help a lot. Perhaps an air purifier for your bedroom? And I think I'd make the roomie smoke her pot elsewhere....... What if she gets busted? You don't want or need that to deal with. And I don't think your landlord would be real happy either.How can I fix my dust problem? No matter what I do, dust returns within a few hours?Dust comes from crapped up junk that's falling apart. See if paint is coming off the walls, if the ceiling is breaking, any antiques that are breaking. These may be the sources of the dust. Get rid of them. If that doesn't work, then clean your whole apartment from ceiling to carpet. That will definitely get rid of dust for a very long time.



Plus, dust shouldn't effect your immune system. It may cause sickness, but it won't make other sicknesses come faster. See your doctor if the problem continues.



Also, tell your friend to stop smoking pot. They're an idiot.