Monday, October 24, 2011

My Car Won't Go Over 4500RPM's and Lost Some "Pick Up & Go." What's the Problem?

I have a 2000 Chevrolet Camaro v6 (Manual Transmission 5-speed). I have about 100k miles on the car and it has ran perfectly the whole time I've owned it with the only maintenance I've done was a new clutch, tires, and regular oil changes/air filters.



How it happened: I was being stupid and raced to another street light against another car. In 3rd gear my RPM's decided to bottom out at 4,500RPM's. This was the first time that ever happened (it always could go to about 7,000 RPM's if I really needed the horsepower to speed up). Ever since that day my car's performance has been lacking. The pick up and go is not as great as it was. The RPM's still bottom out at 4500RPM's on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear (I haven't tried 5th).



I definitely want to get this fixed but before I go for a diagnosis can anyone tell me what to expect? What is it? About how much? Thank youMy Car Won't Go Over 4500RPM's and Lost Some %26quot;Pick Up %26amp; Go.%26quot; What's the Problem?Could be the catalytic converter restricting the exhaust flow. This would inhibit higher revs and definitely diminish power, while there would be no other apparent symptoms, possibly.My Car Won't Go Over 4500RPM's and Lost Some %26quot;Pick Up %26amp; Go.%26quot; What's the Problem?$750 for a new system including a hi-flo Cat is a fair price. Hey, if interested check out my Firebird at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/ Gonna do my exhaust soon, too.

Report Abuse

My Car Won't Go Over 4500RPM's and Lost Some %26quot;Pick Up %26amp; Go.%26quot; What's the Problem?BEFORE TO DO ANYTHING ELSE I WOULD HAVE THE COMPLETE EXHAUST SYSTEM LOOKED AT BECAUSE AT 100,000 MILES IT IS VERY POSSIBLE THAT YOU EITHER DESTROYED THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER THE MUFFLER OR BOTH.My Car Won't Go Over 4500RPM's and Lost Some %26quot;Pick Up %26amp; Go.%26quot; What's the Problem?A number of things: fuel filter, fuel pump, partially plugged injectors, spark plugs, spark plug wires are the most obvious.