Monday, October 24, 2011

How to replace 1997 BMW 318is Cabin Air Filter?

I've had this car for about 5 years now and I was wondering if I need to change this filter. I see they are very cheap. I just don't quite know where to put it. I did some work in a house without the knowledge required and long story short messed with 93% Vinyl/7% asbestos tile and I'm suddenly developing paranoia and anxiety about having possibly gotten a few stray fibers in the car (the tile was never in the car nor were materials from the house). I've vacuumed about 3 times now and am set to steam clean it. When I drive I have all the windows and roof wide open in the hopes of just blowing anything out into the world. It didn't even occur to me until months after the fact that there could be a problem with the air quality in the car. So, anyway, how do I change the filter? Thanks!How to replace 1997 BMW 318is Cabin Air Filter?Replacing the microfilter in your particular car is not easy.

Remove the glove box and the lower right dashboard cover (the trim cover immediately behind and below the glove box. Twist off the air duct. Remove the 2 upper screws holding the control module

holder, then pull down/lower the holder.

Some experienced technicians do not remove the glove box, only the lower dash cover.

On the right side of the evaporator blower, at the far end, is a vertical semi trapezoidal/rectangular plastic cover which has a round lock/knob that has to be twisted 45 degrees to unlock the cover.

After unlocking, remove the cover and pull out the soiled microfilter.

Replace and re-install removed components.How to replace 1997 BMW 318is Cabin Air Filter?Wow!! Brod either knows what he's talking about or It,s under your hood by the windshield wipers. I hope I'am wrong.