Monday, October 24, 2011

Please help don't know what to do about my car?

i have a 1998 Cadillac seville sls. the breaks have been squeaking and last week the car said engine oil level low. the car also said at that point that the engine oil life was at 23% today when i took the car in to a Midas it said 17% oil engine life. so they charged me 300 dollars on the receipt it says they did an oil change, replaced the air filter, changed brake pads, fuel induction service, and a brake flush. the second i drove off the parking lot my service engine light came on! this light has never came on since i have owned the car! and my engine oil life now says 16% which is lower than when i took it in! did they do something to my car at all? i don't know anything about cars im pregnant and my husband is nowhere around please tell me what to say or how to prove that they messed up.Please help don't know what to do about my car?Your premonition may be correct, they may not have done all the listed items. The second you drive your car from a shop and something doesn't seem right, drive it right back there and make them fix it or talk to their regional manager right away.



My wife is pregnant too and she relys on me for these things. I'm sorry you had to deal with this. Take a male friend who knows cars into the shop there and help you out. Good luck and hope it gets resolved.Please help don't know what to do about my car?they probly didnt reset oil life. check engine could be alot of thing.take it back.Please help don't know what to do about my car?You have to manually reset the service oil light. On many GMs, you turn the key to on (engine off), then floor the gas three times. That resets the oil reminder. A lot of mechanics just forget to reset it (or don't know how for every car).



As for the check engine light, tell them it came on as soon as you drove off the lot. Ask if they could just read the codes. A good manager would scan the codes for free. (All it takes is plugging in the reader and reading the codes.) It may or may not have anything to do with what they did.



I don't know if they messed up, but if I were to bet, I'd bet that they really did all they said they did.Please help don't know what to do about my car?Did they call you before they did all the work? They have to call you before they do anything ...service light could be something thing else it could happen any time....oil 16% that doesn't make sen should be 95% because you just got it change you should ask them ...why is 16% good luckPlease help don't know what to do about my car?Take it back to the same place and ask them,,,What the heyyy! They should be able to fix it or answer your questions.Please help don't know what to do about my car?Since modern vehicles have become increasingly complex over the years, the reason for a check engine light can also be quite complex. You should take the car to a name brand auto parts store and tell the person behind the counter that you want to have the OBD (On Board Diagnostics) code read for your car. Most of the larger chains will do this for free. Since your vehicle is a 1998, it most likely requires an OBD-II code scanner, but this should be irrelevant to anybody behind the counter. Once you know which code the check engine light has issued, you should be able to take the vehicle to an ASE (Automotive Service Excellence) certified shop, and have the vehicle repaired properly. Note, that an ASE certified technician will run the code check as well, but it never hurts to know exactly what is wrong with the vehicle yourself before taking it any place to be repaired.



You will see this symbol on any automotive center that has received ASE certification: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:ASE_ce



I hope this helps, and good luck.Please help don't know what to do about my car?on that car you should have a reset button. every time you change the oil you have to set the reminder.