Monday, October 24, 2011

I have an undergravel filter and I want to change to a normal one...how should I go about it?

The reason is, I want to use sand substrate for my catfish but can't with the undergravel.



Am I right in thinking the best way to do this would be get the filter, leave both running for 4 weeks then remove the undergravel when I do a water change, changing the substrate at the same time and leaving just the normal filter?



Obviously, I'd put most of the water in a bucket with my fish in, then put the filter in there with the fish (running? or not running?) while I quickly change the substrate.



Is this safe? Will transferring the filter from air to water result in an bacteria loss?



The fish will only be in their bucket for a maximum of half an hour by the way - I'm not going to harm my fish!I have an undergravel filter and I want to change to a normal one...how should I go about it?You are right in %26quot;cycling%26quot; your new filter in your current tank. However, once you set up your %26quot;temporary%26quot; home in the bucket, simply put an airstone in with it to keep your oxygen levels up. This is your chance to reset your entire aquarium and as you are setting up a new substarte, you may find the water will be quite cloudy until the new filter has had a chance to %26quot;clean%26quot; the water and the sediment has had a chance to settle (this usually takes about an hour). Try to use a mix of 75% current aquarium water and 25% fresh water (so you don't lose too much bacteria). As for bacteria loss, the beneficial bacteria that changes nitrate into nitrite needs oxygen. That is how the new bio filters work, they expose the surfaces of the filter (where the bacteria live) to open air rather than the old style filters that keep the sponge material immersed in water.I have an undergravel filter and I want to change to a normal one...how should I go about it?I would vacume it with a python water changer or vortex, then take it out.I have an undergravel filter and I want to change to a normal one...how should I go about it?I did the change once for my discus tank. Pretty much just like you have posted and what Ed wrote. I did keep a large portion of the original water in cleaned out milk jugs. for the switch so the change would not be too drastic. I then set up an added cannister filter to help with the filtration and hopefully get a jumpstart from the orighinal bacteria in the water. The tank did great and a good water change always helps. It also made for an easier cleaning of waste on the bottom. One idea is that some people put rubber cement or glue on the bottom and just allow the sand to attach to it making for a barebottom tank with the look of sand. That may not be what your wanting for your catfish though.
  • can you afford to retire
  • rodents
  •