Monday, October 24, 2011

How will I know if I need a tune up?

Or a spark plug change?



I have a 2004 Jeep liberty, and it has about 90K miles on it. (It used to be a rental car but I've had it for two years, and it's not given me any trouble. And the carfax report was really good).



But since I've had it, I haven't had a tune up, or anything, only oil changes and air filter changes, and I don't know what I need.



Recently it's been jerking when I accelerate up a hill. Only SOMETIMES though, and it's only a slight jerk then it smooths out, but it's a concern.



Tune up? Other ideas?



Thanks very much and have a great weekend.How will I know if I need a tune up?I would get a new fuel filter first and plugs.

Also the plug leads and coil pack or distributor checked if that fails to improve things.

If it's an automatic get the gearbox fluid level checked.How will I know if I need a tune up?Find someone who is competent, and have them clean out your PCV valve and hose, your throttle body, and idle air control valve with Gum-out spray. Also, power wash your entire engine compartment, especially the space between the radiator and A/C condenser. Debris always collects here and restricts proper air flow. Check BOTH ends of your battery cables for good connections. After doing all this, drive-ability should have improved. If not, change the plugs, but try using Nippondenso Iridium or Bosch platinum plugs. They are simply designed and produced better and will provide better engine characteristics. The high voltage used in modern car engines for emission control and MPG requirements usually make the spark plugs last longer and retain their gap best. Sometimes, a car that shudders going up hill only requires an adjustment of the transmission cable. Good Luck!!!How will I know if I need a tune up?Usually a tune-up is suggested for 100K-150K miles. So you may be getting close. I would take it to a shot to get it looked at, it is probably not your spark plugs, though. It could be your transmission. If you bring it in, they should tell you what is wrong with it and give you a quote.How will I know if I need a tune up?You may be developing an engine missfire which could be an ignition, or lean/ rich misfire caused by a vacuum leak or emissions related problem. The first thing I would do is have a new set of spark plugs installed and ask the technician to check the plug wires for any corrosion buildup in the contacts that he can clean both at the spark plug and coil tower connections. You also need a new fuel filter if it has never been changed.

Never go into a repair shop asking that a %26quot;tune-up%26quot; be done on your car because it's like writing a blank check for the shop to do a lot of work that you may not need. Stick to the manufacturer's recommended maintenance schedule and pick and choose individual repairs that are diagnosed as being the problem by a shop. So you would go into the shop and ask them to diagnose your engine misfire once it was bad enough.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/misfire.htHow will I know if I need a tune up?My advise is to keep ur car as it is ..



if u insist on .. i think havin' another car -cheaper- is better ALSO if u're not expert don't open a door to hell :D



also i knew dat JEEP has an overheating problem -maybe here in KSA only coz we have the hottest Summer EVER :D -







here are some of Saudi arabia Tuned Wheels



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLHo2yyQV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_Ox7Zxn0



BTw .. many of them were tuned by them selves .How will I know if I need a tune up?YOUR CAR/TRUCK WILL TAKE OFF A LITTLE SLOWER THAT USUAL - AN YOU WILL USE MORE GAS GOING SHORT- OR SAME DISTANCES AN YOU USE TO TRAVELING ...............How will I know if I need a tune up?You should get oil changes every couple thousand miles.. You ruining ur engine good job.How will I know if I need a tune up?go have your car looked @ THE MECHANICS WILL KNOW

sorry......How will I know if I need a tune up?might be a lose plug wireHow will I know if I need a tune up?A tune up is a possibility. You may only need an ignition wire or a spark plug. Then again, it could be something as serious as a fuel pump losing pressure or a slipping transmission. If you are a do-it-yourselfer, try plugs, wires, PCV and an air and fuel filter. Some fuel injection cleaner may help too. If not, take it to someone who knows Jeeps and they can pinpoint the problem that could potentially save you money and headache. At 90K, I would do some type of tune up maintenance. You could also take it to an AUTOZONE outfit and see if you are getting misfire codes from a free scan of codes.