Monday, November 22, 2010

How do change an air filter element on an 1974 850cc Norton?

The air filter front plate on this bike has some curious plumbing on the inside which does not allow it to slide away from the air filter. They must be removed as one. The bike is original. Replacing is a nightmare because the air hoses must be seated. I have run out of patience! Some one know.How do change an air filter element on an 1974 850cc Norton?I own a 74 850, although, as soon as I bought it I changed it to a K%26amp;N dual inlet airfilter, and since have converted to a single Amal carb with a foam sock type filter. However, I did install the stock unit once. I believe most of the difficulty is because the rubber air tubes get stiff with age (just like me). Pull the rubber tubes from the front plate and assemble the airbox. Boil a pan of water and throw the air tubes in for a few minutes this will make them soft and pliable for a short time so you have to work quickly to get them in. I think thats how I did it, but, I must admit its been a number of years.

If you get stuck post your question again on the forum at www.jerrydoe.com bookmark that site it is a wealth of info read and contributed to on a daily basis by a number of highly experienced Norton enthusiasts. Wanna talk Norton drop me a note geo46er@yahoo.com