Thursday, June 2, 2011

How do I change the air filter in a 1996 S420?

I know its under the plastic covering the engine, but I don't know how to access it, there are latches on the plastic covering to undo the clips holding it to the engine, but the clips on the back, appear to have no latches. If someone could please tell me how to get the cover off, and change the air filters it would be appriciated.How do I change the air filter in a 1996 S420?OK first pull the intake tubes off, pull the very front of the air cleaner up and off, Now pull the very front of the air cleaner up, it might be tight use a little force, you will hear it pop, now with the front of the air cleaner up slightly pull the entire air cleaner forward off the rubber mounts that it sits on, (very important you should look how it sits before taking it off cause it must go back on the very same way). to undo the clips on the back that you are talking about , turn the air cleaner upside down now you can undo the clips.How do I change the air filter in a 1996 S420?The 'air cleaner' is the part with the star on it, take the part with the tubes coming out of it off first.

Report Abuse

How do I change the air filter in a 1996 S420?Take it to the dealer, go have a cup of coffee, bother a few sales people and it will be finished before you know it.